|Deletions are marked like this.||Additions are marked like this.|
|Line 20:||Line 20:|
|* [[attachment:baker-model-building.pdf]] - Model Building - Matt Baker||* [[attachment:baker-model-building.pdf||&do=get]] - Model Building - Matt Baker|
|Line 26:||Line 26:|
|* [[attachment:PathwalkerGorgonTutorial.pdf]]||* [[attachment:PathwalkerGorgonTutorial.pdf||&do=get]]|
NCMI Workshop on Single Particle Reconstruction, Structural Variability and Modeling
Oct 30 - Nov 2, 2015
We strongly recommend bringing a 3 button (or 2 button+scroll) mouse. While it is possible to survive with a trackpad or one button mouse, there are many things in EMAN and Chimera where having additional mouse buttons is VERY useful.
The official agenda is on the Workshop Page, but here is a link for convenience: http://ncmi.bcm.edu/ncmi/events/workshops/workshops_145/workshop_schedule_html
If you attended the workshop, PLEASE complete the survey:
Presentations from the Workshop
ludtke-overview.pdf - Workshop Overview - Steve Ludtke
mcmullan-microscopy.pdf - Introduction to CryoEM - Greg McMullan
penczek-alignment.pdf - 2D Alignment Theory - Pawel Penczek
ludtke-minitalks.pdf - CTF, Refinement, other topics - Steve Ludtke
baldwin-orientation.pdf - Orientation and Symmetry - Phil Baldwin
scheres-variability.pdf - Methods for Structural Variability - Sjors Scheres
baker-model-building.pdf - Model Building - Matt Baker
Tutorial Data You will also need all of the demonstration data, which we will use when going through the tutorials:
Data-Sets.zip from Gorgon site
sparx_ctf.tgz - NEW
Completed Tutorial Projects (large files)
Software used at the workshop:
EMAN/SPARX 2.12 (or snapshot version released after Oct. 19, 2015) - (day 1 - 2) Required. Do not use an older version.
Relion 1.4 (optional, day 2-3) - The Relion session will largely be a demo. See comments below.
Chimera Daily Build Oct. 17 or later - For PDB viewing and Segger tutorial (day 4, specific version required)
- Warning: we are aware of an issue with Gorgon on Ubuntu. Will remove this warning when resolved. Other Linux variants should be fine, now.
Gorgon - Gorgon Tutorial (day 4) Please install the appropriate binary AND Data-Sets.zip
Phenix - (end of day 4) real-space refinement of models
LKH Solver - (day 4 - pathwalker), required only for the pathwalker tutorial, see below
Additional information and tips about software installation
These are not additional downloads, but rather are links which may assist in installing some of the required packages above.
- Please insure that you meet the specific version requirements above for each software package. Tutorials will be tested only on these specific versions.
- Mac users - If you are running El Capitan on your Mac (10.11) you will find there are a few bugs specific to this OS version we have not managed to fix yet. It should still be possible to complete the tutorial, but you will encounter a few annoyances.
OpenMPI/Pydusa - Most SPARX tasks require MPI to run correctly, and are normally used on clusters. It is possible to install MPI on a single laptop/desktop as well, and requires minimal work or configuration to do so, you will simply be limited to the number of CPUs available on your laptop. Much of the SPARX presentation will be 'demo style' rather than a formal tutorial anyway, so you will not miss too much if you don't get MPI configured. Instructions are available here.
- Due to the required computation for most Relion refinements, Sjors plans to run a demo-style session rather than a tutorial. However, if you install Relion, you may be able to experiment with it a bit during the session. This is recommended only for users with Linux on their laptops.
- Chimera and Phenix have some restrictions on commercial use. If you work for a commercial entity, and your IT group will not install these packages, you will still be able to directly participate in most of the workshop. Phenix will only be used at the very end of day 4 to learn about real-space refinement. Chimera will be used on day 4 for a segmentation tutorial. It is also a useful utility to have available, but should otherwise not be strictly required.
Warning - there may be some minor issues with EMAN/SPARX 2.12 on MacOS ElCapitan. If you have not upgraded, you may consider delaying until after the workshop.
- Installing EMAN2/SPARX:
Instructions are here: http://blake.bcm.edu/emanwiki/EMAN2/Install/BinaryInstall
- Installing Phenix:
Go to http://www.phenix-online.org/download/ and click request download instructions.
Register (http://www.phenix-online.org/phenix_request/index.cgi) with institutional email address.
- Then an email with a password for the download will be sent to the registered email address.
- Use the provided link and password to download the latest official release (for example: Latest official release: 1.10.1-2155 (10-06-2015)).
- The user should then install the command line operator version for their particular operating system.
Unzip the downloaded file (~918MB) and follow the install instructions in the README file (you may need to use > sudo ./install). I would suggest to install in the default directory (usr/local/..).
- Once you have successfully installed PHENIX, to set up your environment please source the phenix_env file in the phenix installation directory (as stated in the README file).
- Installing LKH Solver
- For linux you can download source and compile using the link above
- For the Mac
- You can build from source if you have Xcode - or -
We are providing a Mac binary lkh you can 'chmod a+x lkh' then copy to /usr/local/bin (or another folder in your $PATH)
For Windows, there is a binary version available: http://www.akira.ruc.dk/~keld/research/LKH/lkh.exe